Around the start of the last century, water shortages in Greater Boston caused the state government to look to Western Massachusetts for supplies of clean drinking water. The Wachusett Reservoir was completed around 1908, and in the Twenties, the people of the Swift River valley lost their battle against eastern Massachusetts, and construction of the Quabbin Reservoir begun. The towns of Enfield, Greenwich, Prescott and Dana were disincorporated, their citizens evicted from their homes, and all structures in the way of the future reservoir razed. Construction took place during the thirties, and the reservoir filled during the forties, becoming the largest inland body of water within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Today, it supplies most of eastern Massachusetts with water. To protect the water, the area around it is a reservation. Yesterday, I took the motorcycle out for a ride around there. The roads around the reservoir are great for motorcycling — curvy, and not too crowded.
Between weather and family stuff and a new motorcycle, I haven’t been diving much at all this year. A couple of weeks ago, Andrew and I did Loblolly Cove; I knew I’d see some neat stuff as soon as I … Continue reading →
I took this past Monday off, and spent most of it paddling the Charles River from Bridge Street in Dover to the Natick Dam. Although the foliage was a little pre-peak, it was still a gorgeous day –clear and crisp, … Continue reading →
I did a pair of dives late afternoon and evening yesterday with my friends Andrew and Jim. The end of summer is a great time to do a dusk/night dive, because the earlier sunsets allow you to do it at … Continue reading →
I did a pair of shore dives with my friend Andrew Sunday off of Old Garden Beach in Rockport. Old Garden is where I got certified, and it’s still one of my favorites because of its easy entry. It’s a … Continue reading →
Yesterday, I was fortunate enough to go diving again off my friend Jack’s boat. The weather was perfect, and the water had warmed up quite nicely after the 46° of my last dives. After heading out the Annisquam River, we … Continue reading →
I was looking through my old negatives to see if I could find the negative of the picture of my Dad that I posted last September, when I came across yet another box of slides. The box contained a bunch of rejected slides, pictures that were either too light or too dark to be part of a slide show. That was then. Now, we can edit pictures digitally, so I figured they were worth a second look. I found about fifteen that looked like they might be worth a quick scan to see if there was anything worth the work of fixing them.
Of the first four, this was the most promising. It’s a picture of my sister and me from 1963, taken by my father.
It looks like it was from the tail end of a roll — light fogged at the right and top, and covered with fungus.
Not bad at all. So what did I do?
I cropped much of the fogged area out of the picture. (The ‘Before’ picture is actually cropped).
I added an initial overall Curves adjustment to make the darks darker and the lighter areas lighter, and adjust the color.
I added a second Curves adjustment on top of the first, masked with a layer mask with a very soft bottom edge, over the top half of the picture. This layer makes the top part of the picture darker and more contrasty, and further adjusts the colors.
Used the Spot Healing Brush to clean up the biggest bits of dirt on the scan. Things like hairs and especially large clumps of mold.
Cleaned up some (but not anywhere near all) of the mold tendrils on the faces. Just the very largest spots — there was way too much mold damage on this picture to spot them all away individually.
Dealt with the blue mold spots. These occur where the fungus has eaten through the yellow dye layer of the emulsion. For some, like the blue spot on my face, and some of the blue spots on the couch, I used the Clone Stamp Tool. In other places, like along the back wall and the spot in my sister’s hair, it was sufficient to use the Sponge Tool to desaturate the blue away.
I used the Sponge Tool and Burn Tool to desaturate and darken the edge fogging on the right side of the picture.
Finally, I duplicated my layer, ran the Dust and Scratches filter on it, masked it, and then removed the mask away from any edges.
The problem with the Dust and Scratches layer is that it works by blurring the spots away, and can also blur away detail. Usually, I only need to unmask the Dust and Scratches layer where there are dust spots. Usually, if there are particularly bad areas, they’re confined to the sides, which are out of focus anyway. Not this picture. I had to accept this image was not going to be as clean as I’d like.The fungus damage was way too extensive, and covered every square millimeter of the film. So I unmasked everything away from any sort of edge. For example, I unmasked the skin if the faces, but left the edge of the lips and eyes from the base layer showing, to retain the sharpness of the edges.
Overall, though, considering the state of the original image, not too shabby, even if I do say so myself.
Friday marked the last day of diving. In the morning, Ralph, the Quinnans, Debie and I revisited Aquarius, because of its easy sandy entry. Interestingly enough, possibly due to Barbara making me more aware of them, I saw a ton … Continue reading →
Thursday started with a pair of boat dives. For me, the first one was kind of embarrassing, as I burned through my air and was the first one back on the boat. The second one was actually pretty productive, as … Continue reading →