As I mentioned back in May, in Crossing the Santa Threshold, I’m trying to grow out my beard. The goal is a year beard, AKA a “yeard”. As of the beginning of this month, I’m 10 months in:
It looks like I’m going to make it to the end of the year. Beyond that, I haven’t decided.
- It’s not neat looking.
- It gets in the way.
- It’s a pain in the neck wearing a motorcycle helmet; the strap tends to catch on the hairs.
- It gets in the way when eating.
- White hairs all over the place.
- Every now and then, I’ll catch my reflection and think, I look like a bum.
- Kids tend to be on their best behavior around me. I expect this to become more noticeable over the next month.
- Compliments from strangers. Not too many, but some.
- Every now and then, I’ll catch my reflection and think, that looks freaking awesome.
I don’t know how it will turn out. I may just decide to even up the ends and keep it long, or go back to a short neat beard.
Watch this space.